Lost password

Edwards

all messages by user

6/16/2015
Topic:
Applying for a Travel Document (PR)

Edwards
Edwards
My PR card is expiring on July 15 this year, but for medical care reasons I urgently need to travel to the U.S. from Canada, leaving Canada for northern California in mid July.

I already have a paid roundtrip air ticket leaving from and returning to Canada, and I have just applied for a new PR card with a request for urgent processing--proof of travel enclosed. But the Call Centre agents said that processing can take four to six weeks, so I might not receive the new PR card in time. He said I should consider applying for a travel document once I am in the U.S.

Having researched the requirements for this application, I still have a few questions about applying for a travel document:

1. IMM 5627, the document checklist, states (under #7) that I must provide evidence of my permanent resident status in Canada, such as the following:

• a Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence or, if the document was lost or stolen, a police report documenting the
circumstances of the loss,
• an expired permanent resident card or, if your card was lost or stolen, a police report documenting the circumstances of the loss,
• employment documents,
• financial documents,
• Revenue Canada Notice of Assessment forms,
• evidence of receipt of benefits from Canadian government programs,
• rental agreements,
• club memberships, etc.

My question is: How many such documents must I include? Is an expired PR card enough, or do I need several other documents, too?

2. How long does it usually take to obtain a travel document from the Los Angeles VAC via courier service? (I will not be physically present in L.A.) The LA VAC does not indicate its processing times; nor does the official Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

3. Is it ever possible to return to Canada simply with a U.S. passport alone, or not?

Many thanks, in advance, for any advice you may have for me.