Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

Halcrow

all messages by user

7/15/2015
Topic:
Advice regarding Citizenship (June, 2015)

Halcrow
Halcrow
I would greatly appreciate if you can provide advice regarding my application for a citizenship certificate “proof of citizenship” under section 3 of the Citizenship Act.

My Father was granted his Canadian citizenship by descent in 2013 through my Grandfather as a result of the April, 2009 amendments to the Citizenship Act which granted Canadian Citizenship to “Lost Canadian” that were born outside Canada before 1947.

My understanding is that June,2015 amendments granted Canadian citizenship to Lost Canadians born before 1947, and their 1st generation children born abroad, and once I have received my permanent residency status in 2014, I have applied for a “proof of citizenship” in the hope that the June,2015 changes to the Citizenship Act would come into effect and would grant me Citizenship as a 1st generation children born abroad.

The response I have received from the CIC begins by addressing that I am the applicant and the following paragraphs discussed the case of a “Child” who is identified as a second generation born outside Canada and would only be eligible for the citizenship if his grandparent was a crown servant ( which is unfortunately not the case for my grandfather) as per subsection 3(3) to the Citizenship Act.

Taking into consideration the above, Could you please advise if I would I be considered as a First or Second Generation born abroad?. And would not the June, 2015 changes to the Citizenship Act provide me the right to be granted the Canadian Citizenship?.

You guidance in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Max
7/20/2015
Topic:

Halcrow
Halcrow
Thanks MelM for your reply. When you refer to qulaify for citizenship via the regular process, does that mean to apply for a grant of citizenship under subsection 5(5) of the Citizenship Act?.
Many Thanks
7/21/2015
Topic:

Halcrow
Halcrow
Thanks Melm. Greatly appriciated