Lost password

ybpo

all messages by user

9/11/2015
Topic:
Landlord requires Home (Content) Insurance

ybpo
ybpo
Hi, I'm a newcomer and going to rent an apartment in an apartment building and the landlord required me to have home (content) insurance prior to giving me the key.
Can he legally force me to have it or I can choose to have it? Can he refuse to let me into an apartment without the insurance?

Thanks
9/14/2015
Topic:
Landing - How Long does it Take?

ybpo
ybpo
Hi, we are a family of 4 (2 little kids) and landing as PR's in Toronto on Sunday September 20, 2015. How long would the process of landing take in the Pearson airport itself? Is it longer than, say, 30 minutes?

Thanks
11/27/2015
Topic:
PR Card for Sponsored Parents

ybpo
ybpo
Hi, is there any difference in how the PR card is obtained by sponsored parents and other types of immigrants?

Do I understand it correctly that they pretty much apply when they land in Canada and then the card is mailed to them to the address they provide?

Thanks
6/5/2016
Topic:
Do I need to book a G1 Test if not in English?

ybpo
ybpo
Hi, I understand there is no appointment needed for G1 knowledge test if taken in English/French. But do I need to book it if I want to take it in Russian for example?
Thanks
8/12/2016
Topic:
Financial aid for sponsored parents

ybpo
ybpo
Hi, I've sponsored my parents and they now landed immigrants and live in Toronto. Given the fact that they are sponsored by me, can they apply for the financial aid, such as Toronto Welcome Policy or Ontario Works assistance programs? Can they apply for subsidized housing through http://www.housingconnections.ca/ or similar programs? They are low income and do meet Financial Aid/subsidized housing criteria.

Thanks,

Eli
8/18/2016
Topic:
Financial aid for sponsored parents

ybpo
ybpo
Thank you for the response, I have another question around the same issue. My parents I sponsored are over 65 and technically eligible for an old age security/pension from the province and/or federal government. They are not going to receive anything for now because they are sponsored and I'm responsible for providing them with financial support.

What I know from other similar cases (heard from friends), sponsored parents over 65 y.o. are eligible to apply and receive an old age security/pension from the province and/or federal government in the future without the sponsor being sued by the government. I also know that they have to live in Canada for 10 years to be eligible to do so. Lately I'm hearing that it's not 10 but 20 years now they have to wait to be eligible, depending when their application was received by CIC. I've applied to sponsor them in September 2010, am I falling under 10 or 20 years waiting period?

Thanks,

Eli