robinrussia

all messages by user

10/2/2015
Topic:
Citizenship for Canadian Child born to TWN Mom

robinrussia
robinrussia
Hi,

I've applied for permanent residency for my wife, who is Taiwanese, and she should have everyrthing processed by August / September 2016. I'm going home in late October to set up the house and get everything ready for my wife and 8 yo daughter to come over.

News came that she is pregnant and will give birth in June, which is great, but problematic for the following reasons.

1. Applying for a Citizenship card will take 8-11 months. and one more month for a passport. So while my wife can travel, she can't leave the child.
2. There is no point in sponsoring the child as she/he will be Canadian due to me being Canadian. It will take 13 months to process that application.
3. I guess I could simply take her/him on vacation to meet the grandparents and never leave canada and begin the process of applying. My wife would have to arrive a few days after me.

However, I see the facilition visa is an option:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/types/facilitation.asp

for presumptive Canadians under the age of 18 who are coming to Canada either to reside with their Canadian parent(s) or..... The person must also be in possession of a valid foreign national passport or travel document in order for the facilitation visa to be issued. Satisfactory evidence (a Canadian birth certificate, citizenship certificate, etc.) must be presented to prove that at least one parent is Canadian and the visa officer must be satisfied of the parent-child relationship.

From this, it appears that applying for a taiwan passport and then for a Faciltation visa is the best route. Would this be a correct understanding on my part?

Any other suggestions on how I could bring my child, with my wife at the same time?