Lost password

potomac

all messages by user

2/16/2016
Topic:
No Wedding Photos for Spousal Sponsorship

potomac
potomac
I am a Canadian citizen living abroad looking to soon submit the application to sponsor my spouse for PR.

A particular worry for us in regards to our application is that we did not host a wedding, photos of which are required for the PR application.

We are concerned that this will raise a red flag. Other factors of our marriage are more in our favor (first marriage, first PR application, married for 15 months, conjugal cohabitation for 5 years, etc), but we are concerned this will make us appear suspicious.

Hosting a formal wedding was never important to us because of cost, but now has become very relevant for the application.

I`d like to ask:

1) Have there been other PR applicants who have been in the same situation, and what they have done to overcome the lack of this application requirement?
2) Silly to ask, but should we just host a wedding for the sake of the application? We'd rather not, but it would fulfill the PR application requirements.

Thank you very much to any and all respondents to this question.
3/6/2016
Topic:
Paying Taxes for Sponsorship from outside Canada

potomac
potomac
I'm a Canadian citizen living abroad applying for permanent residency for my wife.

While visiting Canada, I went to a lawyer to get some documents notarized. When she heard of my situation, she recommended that I begin paying Canadian taxes immediately (which I don't at present, being a non-resident) as a way to show that I am serious about returning once the approval comes in.

She said that nothing else, like buying Canadian property, will show the government I am serious about returning than by doing this.

Has anyone done this before? Is it effective? And, does this have anything to do with declaring our common-law union under the Cdn Income Tax Act (T-1 "General Individual Income TAx Return")

I want to have the application with the highest chance of success, so I would do this if it helps out in just the slightest bit of help.

This is a great forum, and I really want to extend my appreciation to any help I can get on this issue. Thank you.