Lost password

kpanchal

all messages by user

5/14/2016
Topic:
Various Q's Re: Short Landing

kpanchal
kpanchal
Hi there, I have a number of questions related to short landing.

I have COPR and I'm in the UK. I am coming to Canada (Toronto) on June 4th to complete a short landing. I will be there for 2 weeks and staying with family.

Proof of Funds: As I am staying for only 2 weeks I plan only to bring say $1000 in spending money. However, do I need to bring the minimum required amount for a single person ($12,164) for proof of funds? If so can this be a bankers draft or will a bank statement suffice?

PR Card: I plan to provide my families address in Toronto for CBSA/CIC to send the PR Card to. My family will then bring the card to me later in the year when they visit the UK. I know there is a risk to this but I think it should be ok. My question is, because I am only there for 2 weeks will immigration send the PR card or will I have to request this another time?

Proof of goods form: I've been told about the B4/BSF186A form - As I'm doing a short landing and not moving items, do I need to complete this form?

Paying taxes: I am only coming for a short stay and then I return to the UK and will be working. Will I have to pay taxes in both UK & Canada? This link (Determining your residency status), says that I only pay taxes if have significant residential ties which I will not. However, I do plan to open a bank account during my short landing and maybe get my driving licence - both of these count as secondary residential ties. So does this mean I would have to pay tax? The link for non-resident of Canada says: if I don't have significant ties and have been in Canada for less than 183 days then I should will be exempt from paying tax. Please advise.

Thank you
Ketan
5/28/2016
Topic:
Short landing & completing the BSF186 Form

kpanchal
kpanchal
Hi all

I'm doing a short landing next week to Toronto Pearson (eeeek) and I've been told even if I am doing a short landing I need to complete the BSF186 Personal Effects form.

As it is a short landing I am not actually moving any goods over, so I was going to list items that I will have with me oh this short trip (e.g. Clothes, Laptop etc) & list items to follow (when I do actually move).

Looking at the form it's asking for details such as Importer's name, Cargo control number etc.

However, I am not shipping any goods over (at this stage) so how do I complete this form?

Can someone please provide some info into how I should best approach this form given my circumstances?

Thank you
Ketan
5/28/2016
Topic:
Various Q's Re: Short Landing

kpanchal
kpanchal
Hi there - I still have questions regarding the BSF186 Form...

I'm doing a short landing next week to Toronto Pearson (eeeek) and I've been told even if I am doing a short landing I need to complete the BSF186 Personal Effects form.

As it is a short landing I am not actually moving any goods over, so I was going to list items that I will have with me oh this short trip (e.g. Clothes, Laptop etc) & list items to follow (when I do actually move).

Looking at the form it's asking for details such as Importer's name, Cargo control number etc.

However, I am not shipping any goods over (at this stage) so how do I complete this form?

Can someone please provide some info into how I should best approach this form given my circumstances?

Thank you
Ketan