Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

SaKej

all messages by user

6/2/2016
Topic:
how long to enter once PR is newly issued?

SaKej
SaKej
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen currently living with my Austrian spouse in Vienna. We are in the process of submitting his claim for PR and he has already undergone a medical check with a panel doctor here in Vienna, as we were advised this should be undertaken and report submitted with the application.

I have read elsewhere that once his PR is issued, he must enter Canada with the intention of taking up permanent residency within ONE YEAR of the medical check. However, we are currently being told that the processing time for issue of his PR will be 17 months, rendering the one year medical check timeline totally invalid. Can anyone offer clarity on this?

Once his PR is finally processed, how long will we have to make arrangements, wind up our lives here and enter Canada with him as a PR?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
2/19/2017
Topic:
Temp resident visa for EU citizen waiting PR?

SaKej
SaKej
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen sponsoring my Austria spouse for PR in Canada. We have completed all forms and received confirmation of my eligibility to sponsor, so now just awaiting his application processing. Our plan was for me to resettle in Canada in mid-April (we currently live in Austria, which is where we made the application), and for him to join me in mid-June while awaiting his PR. My question is, does he need a temporary resident visa, or should he just enter as a generic visitor, (for Austrian citzens this allows three months entry)? Can he then re-apply to stay as a temp resident from within Canada? We hope to not have to be separated while he waits for his PR to come through.

I hope this makes sense! Thanks in advcance for any insight.
2/24/2017
Topic:
Temp resident visa for EU citizen waiting PR?

SaKej
SaKej
Moderator wrote:
Hello there,

The quick answer to your question is:

Yes, but only if your spouse or partner has a work permit.
If your spouse applied, or wants to apply, under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada class, he or she can apply for an open work permit.
If you live in Quebec, your spouse or partner also need to get a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from the Quebec government.

But keep in mind:

Remember that while your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application is being processed, he or she must:
  • Maintain legal status as a visitor, student or worker in Canada, and
  • Wait for their work permit application to be approved before starting to work.

I hope these links help answer your questions. Let us know if you have another questions and please write back to share your experience.

=====
- Your Settlement.org team

Thanks for the links, but as I mentioned we have already submitted the sponsorship application and I have been approved as a sponsor. The links you included are for the In-Canada class. We have applied as residents of Austria, so from outside Canada. Basically, I'm asking if my husband needs to apply for any special permit to stay with us once we are in Canada awaiting his PR, or if he can just enter as a tourist, and then re-enter after the first three months.

Thanks again for any insight anyone can provide.