Lost password

desperatepr

all messages by user

8/16/2016
Topic:
Am I still a PR?

desperatepr
desperatepr
I became a landed immigrant and thus permanent resident in Canada in May 1993. I then left Canada later in Nov 1995. I have never applied to renounce my PR residency.

I then came back to Canada in June 2014. I came back to Canada by air without a PR Card. I told the Custom Officer at the airport purpose of my visit is personal travel. They didn't know I have a landed paper nor my residency.

I stayed and have never left the country since then. I have been working for a full time job till now. Filed tax returns and paid tax for the years 2015 & 2016.

I have never received any warning or notification regarding my residency while I was away from Canada nor returned to Canada.

Questions:
1. Do I still maintain the permanent resident status? Or how can I find out if I am still a PR?
2. Am I eligible to apply immigration for my wife and 2 children of 18 and 9 years age?

3. I do not plan to travel away or leave Canada. Do I need to apply for a permanent resident card?

thank you,
8/29/2016
Topic:
Am I still a PR?

desperatepr
desperatepr
Thank you very much. The information provided above is very helpful.

I understand a PR can sponsor his/her spouse under 'In Canada' class which means the spouse can stay in Canada as visitor while the application is in process. I have the following questions:

Can the sponsored spouse leave Canada to travel while waiting?

Can a dependent child be sponsored to immigrate under 'In Canada' class together with the sponsored parent? I can't find any information about this from the CIC website. If yes, can he/she go school while waiting?