Daisy

all messages by user

9/1/2016
Topic:
Canadian living abroad but want to deliver in ON

Daisy
Daisy
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen but living abroad in Ethiopia, and 5 months pregnant.

Unfortunately the medical system here is not very good and I've been advised to deliver my baby abroad if possible.

Unfortunately, I can only travel back to Ontario when I am 33 weeks due to my work constraints.

As I understand (after having my first child in Ontario), is that I need to be referred by a family physician to an OBGYN by around 30 weeks, otherwise it will be difficult to get an OBGYN to deliver my baby.

Is this true?

What are the options if I am flying in at 33 weeks?

I am no longer covered under OHIP and will be managing this through my private insurance.

Grateful for any helpful advice.
9/2/2016
Topic:
Canadian living abroad but want to deliver in ON

Daisy
Daisy
Thank you, Anna.

Unfortunately your response did not answer my question.

I am writing on behalf of myself (i.e.. I am pregnant, a Canadian and living abroad), not my wife. I would like to know what options are available to me when I arrive in Ontario at 33 weeks pregnant. Do I still have to go through a family physician to be referred to an OBGYN? or can I register directly with a hospital where I'd like to deliver?
What are the consequences if I am arriving 7 weeks before my due date to see an OBGYN in Canada? Is there anyone I can contact now, ahead of this period to seek some advice?

Grateful if you could address these specifics. I am not worried about insurance - so please no need to address that issue.

Thanks,
Daisy