OGMC

all messages by user

10/29/2016
Topic:
Doctoral Research Time Abroad for PR

OGMC
OGMC
Hello everyone,

I have a consultation about time spent abroad for keeping my PR. My spouze and I are both PR to Canada.

I am a PhD student at a university in Ontario, Canada. I am currently doing my PhD reseach which includes extensive travelling and staying abroad for long periods (four to six months at least two times a year during the next three years) doing field work. I have all the papers from the University allowing me to go abroad to do my research. Sopuze always travel with me and stay with me while I am doing my field work.

As a PhD student I am funding completely (tuition+ incidental fees + some money to live) by the University as a research assistant and University pays me each moth part of this funding. As a result of it I receive T4A (Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity and Other Income) and T2202A is the Tuition & Education Amounts Certificate every year.

I am wonder if the time spent abroad doing my reseach counts to keep my PR and to apply for citizenship. Also, I wonder if this is also true for my spouze.

Thanks in advance for your help