Lost password

AMig2002

all messages by user

11/18/2016
Topic:
Retired Temporary Visitor From US

AMig2002
AMig2002
I am a US-born citizen, college educated, and over 60. I reside in a major US city. The recent Presidential election in the US has resulted in an increase in threats and actual violent anti-semitic acts that directly threaten my personal safety (and the safety of so many others), I would like to relocate to Toronto for at least a year or two; possibly seeking permanent residence.

If possible, I would like to relocate prior to the January 20, 2017 presidential inauguration.

I receive a monthly pension from my former US employer that would adequately cover my living expenses, but I intend to seek employment as a certified Pilates instructor. There are several openings in the Toronto area for which I am qualified and my intention is to pursue one or more instructor positions.

I understand that initially, I would be a temporary visitor for six months and that I can apply for an extension. Since I receive a pension income and am financially self-supporting, how does this affect my ability to relocate to Toronto and eventually pursue permanent residence?

Thank you.
12/30/2016
Topic:
Working as a Temporary Visitor

AMig2002
AMig2002
In the next few weeks, I will be traveling to Toronto from the US, initially as a six-month visitor with the hope of finding some form of employment.

Based on the questionnaire on the Immigration website, I qualify for an open work permit. I do not have a job lined up, but plan to volunteer and network upon arrival in the hope of finding a position.

I have thoroughly read both publications from Settlement.org. home page. I have also spoken by phone and posed questions to nextstopcanada.ca. I have received some very informative responses and links to additional information. Still, I am a little confused.

My question:

Since I will enter Ontario as a temporary visitor -- not a permanent resident -- do I still go to the settlement agency to apply for the SIN?

Thank you.