Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

RPW33

all messages by user

1/27/2017
Topic:
How Can I Get Cdn. Citizenship? - (Cdn. Father)

RPW33
RPW33
I've discovered recently that I am a dual citizen! I was born in the states in the 60s. My father was born in Quebec in the 20s, came to the US in the 50s and became a US citizen sometime before 1964.

Under the old rules I was not a Canadian because my father had become an American citizen by the time I was born. Apparently, under the new rules put in place in 2015, it only matters that one parent was born in Canada and lived there in 1947.

How do I prove where my father lived in 1947? He would have been in his early 20s then and was working on the family farm, where if they kept employment records, they are long gone. I know he collected a small pension (Old Age pension, I believe) from Canada for about 10 years before he died based on the ~10 years he worked there before coming to the US. I don't know how he proved his employment to get that pension.

My question is this... can I request records from whatever agency administers the Old Age Pension to prove that he had enough residency to collect the pension? I have no idea if this would be sufficient to CIS but it's worth a shot. I don't even know how to begin working on that.

Any other suggestions for proving my dad's residency in 1947?
2/13/2017
Topic:

RPW33
RPW33
Thanks so much for your help! I will try calling that number.
3/10/2017
Topic:

RPW33
RPW33
Thank you so much! This is the most promising information I've gotten so far. I was not aware that one could request a search of citizenship records. I will be working on this in the coming weeks and will let you know how it goes!

Many thanks to Anna and the researchers who tracked this down!
8/8/2017
Topic:

RPW33
RPW33
Just wanted to let you know that my Canadian citizenship certificate arrived this week! A few months after I sent in the application, I got an email from them explaining that I did not need to submit the CIT 0058 form (search of citizenship records). They said all I needed was my father's birth certificate. That form is for people who were not born there but became citizens later. They didn't seem to care that I could not prove that he lived there in 1947 either. Or at least they assumed that he did based on the records I sent.

In any case, it all worked. I'm officially a Canadian!

Thank you so much for your help!