bcbounders

all messages by user

2/17/2017
Topic:
When to submit citizenship application

bcbounders
bcbounders
Hello,

I'm a Permanent Resident already (have been for 10 years), but because I am also a snowbird, I haven't been able to accumulate the necessary time in country to apply for my citizenship. I am planning to be in country enough in the next two years (when combined with time spent in the past two) to meet the in-country time requirement.

My first question is this: at what point in time can I submit my application? On the day that I have met my 1,460-days-in-the-past-6-years in-country requirement?

And what is the typical timeframe of events AFTER submitting an application? My time-in-country requirement will be met mid-October, 2018... and I was planning to head to the desert southwest of the United States for the winter as usual... but wasn't sure if there were going to be things happening right after applying that would require my being home.

Thanks!
- John
2/22/2017
Topic:
When to submit citizenship application

bcbounders
bcbounders
Moderator wrote:
Hi John,
Thank you for sharing your situation with us.

Once you have met the residency requirements, you can apply for citizenship. You can find out more in the Settlement.Org article How do I apply for Canadian Citizenship? You can also find information on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's physical presence calculator.
You can find processing times for citizenship applications listed on the IRCC website as well. In the past, some users have shared their timelines with others. We would invite other users to share their experiences.

I hope this information was useful. Please let us know if you have any follow up questions.

- Your Settlement.Org team

Thanks so much for your reply. The thread of other people's timelines is a big help, as is the other information you provided.

Appreciate your help!