Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

Wndrwmn89

all messages by user

6/18/2017
Topic:
Rights as co-tenant with unsafe living conditions?

Wndrwmn89
Wndrwmn89
I recently moved into a two bedroom apartment to save money with an acquaintance from my old job who was also looking for a new living space. We both signed the lease, but other than she she has not carried her weight since even before the move.
I organized moving day, the renters insurance, set up home internet and communicated with the building manager on a daily basis about the upcoming move. I rented a moving truck and organized everybody to move her that day, to which she has not paid me her half of the moving expenses.
Shortly after the move in this past week her 18 pound cat has attacked me twice breaking the skin with her claws and teeth to the point where my legs are swollen and I was taken to the emergency room for antibiotics and vaccinations. Public health has been notified and my roommate is threatening to kick me out.
She has threatened to put down the animal, but reminds me that it'll be on my conscience for the next year that we live together as per the lease agreement. I have asked her to rehome the animal or keep it locked in her room when she is not home and she said that is unfair to the creature and is complaining that she will not be able to have a social life because of it.
I have told her if she does not comply then she can find other living arrangements.
She is refusing to crate the animal and she is refusing to leave.
Since we are both on the lease what are my rights?
I will be contacting my building manager and inquiring about locks on my bedroom door since she has no respect for my space or belongings.
Also can I take her off the insurance and what are the repercussions?