Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

Kirsty_A

all messages by user

8/21/2017
Topic:
Return To Canada Without PR card - PRTD?

Kirsty_A
Kirsty_A
Hi
Is it allowed to apply for PRTD more than once? I am doing my residency landing in October 2017, but not moving to Canada until summer 2018. So my PR card will be at friend's address in Toronto, but I will need to make the following entries into Canada before I can collect it:
December 2017 - travel for pre-booked ski trip (B.C.)
Summer 2018: Arrival for residency

So I will need 2 x PRTD (1 for each of these entries)... Assuming that I can't travel as a visitor with British passport and ETA once I become a PR?
8/29/2017
Topic:
Short landing & completing the BSF186 Form

Kirsty_A
Kirsty_A
I'm in the same boat now (Short landing in October 2017 -moving mid 2018). As we've not even started packing up our house and won't be doing before October I have no idea what may or may not be coming with us. If I don't declare goods to follow, do I just end up paying an import tax on anything I bring in at a later date?

Also, where do I get this form - the CBSA website says just make a list (no link to a specific form)?

Thanks
9/6/2017
Topic:
Passport expiry imminent- COPR validity

Kirsty_A
Kirsty_A
My husband and I have recently received our Confirmation of Permanent Residency documents and are due to land in Toronto (from UK) on 29th October 2017. We will be coming and going for the first few months (and applying for PRTD before PR cards are received) I figured option 1 would be best, but would appreciate any advice!

My husband’s passport is due to expire in Mar 2018 so he will have less than 6 months left on his passport when we land.

I see that we have two options:
  • Apply for replacement passport now
    Solution: would then have more than 6 months left on landing
    Issue: this passport would then not match details on the COPR? But we could bring both on arrival?

• Wait until after landing to apply for new passport
    Solution: details would all match to COPR, but won't match when we apply for PRTD?
    Issue: would not have 6 months left on passport

• I have read that we don’t necessarily need 6 months left on the passport, but I’ve also read that passport numbers and validity are classed as minor change to COPR and can be carried out by the CBSA at point of entry?