Lost password

BWV

all messages by user

9/27/2017
Topic:
Landlord pushing incorrect/illegal? rent increase

BWV
BWV
On August 31 my landlord sent a notice of rent increase for December. I was writing my cheques out and noticed a glaring error. I contacted the landlord but they did not respond. Our building was built before 1991 and no additional changes were made over the past year.

The error is twofold: It states that our rent will go up 2.5%, even though the Ontario guidelines for 2018 give a %1.8 increase. It also gives an incorrect number of our current rent, listing it as $50 higher. As such our new rent is almost $100 more per month than it should be.

I contacted the landlord to correct the matter but I was wondering what my options would be if they don't respond in a timely fashion. I guess I have till December to work it out but it seems to me the document they submitted is full of errors and is blatantly fraudulent (especially as it checked the box saying that the rent increase fell inline with Ontario guidelines).
What steps can I take to ensure they file the appropriate documents? Who can I submit a complaint to if they refuse to amend the document? What rights do I have to address an unresponsive landlord?
Thanks, feeling very worried.