Leats

all messages by user

11/30/2017
Topic:
OHIP: (Almost) New Permanent Resident

Leats
Leats
Hello,

I am a military spouse currently visiting Canada. I originally applied for Permanent Residence when I was outside of the country but changed my contact details once arriving in Ontario in August; my application was still processed in London. The application was approved on the 20th November but I have not yet met with an immigration officer to officially land; my wife and I plan to visit the US next month and I planned to do it on our return.

Today I attempted to register for OHIP after checking the "who qualifies" section on Ontario.ca which states:

"You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
  • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
  • you have not yet been denied"

I have a letter from CIC saying that I "have been issued my Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) form (IMM5292 or IMM5688)" surely this letter proves that.

a) I have applied for permanent residence
b) I met the eligibility requirements to apply, seeing as it was approved
c) I have not yet been denied...

Anyway, the staff at Service Ontario said that they needed to see form IMM5292 or IMM5688 which I have not yet received, I imagine it's in the post travelling from the UK, I am trying to contact someone in London to see what's going on.

So...My question is, what am I missing? Am I going mad? Reading the website it appears that I meet the requirements but staff at Service Ontario say no.