Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

im2exquisite

all messages by user

2/17/2018
Topic:
Does Signing an Illegal Contract Make it Void?

im2exquisite
im2exquisite
My husband and I signed a lease with our landlord from August 1 2016 to July 31 2017.

2 weeks before the end of our one year lease, the landlord informed us that there would be a 6% rent increase every 6 months effective August 1st 2017 (12% total).

He told us he would negotiate charging 6% if we paid the whole year off up front.

He left and returned later with a lease renewal, stating that all terms of the previous contract remained, but that the rent would be increased from $1300 to $1378. I was coerced into paying an additional 6 months of rent immediately to Julio to avoid an additional increase of rent in 6 months.

He told me he could legally do it. I only agreed to the rental increases because I was afraid, and didn’t have time to find another place on such short notice. I going on vacation at the end of the month, also didn’t know the law for myself.

A few days after paying that money I had mental breakdown and was in the hospital for 10 days.

He has never given me interest on my security deposits whatsoever.

When I asked my landlord to repay my overpayment for the 2017/2018 year, he kept a security deposit of $1378, and 1 additional month of rent for what he calls “collateral”.

What can I do about this?

Is it legal?
Am I responsible for what I don’t know or is he responsible to follow the law?
Is it true that an agreement to carry out an illegal act is a void agreement?
Can he keep more than my security deposit?
What steps should I take to rectify this situation?

What would be the remedy?