February1986

all messages by user

2/22/2018
Topic:
Tenant Filed Form T5 - Bad Faith

February1986
February1986
Hi All,
My former tenants filed form T5, that I evicted them in bad faith and they believe it was due to the the new rules that took effect on September 1,2 2017.
I had absolutely no idea of these rules coming into effect.

Coincidentally, my eviction notice had an eviction date of September 1 2017 (I gave them the notice in June 2017).
Why I evicted? I wanted to live on my own.

I didn't end up "living" there until mid September as I had to purchase & assemble furniture, so I was very absent until I had a bed there.
Anyway, fast forward some time and I realize that this condo is too small and too far. I entered into a relationship, which got serious, and my one bedroom condo is too small for the both of us.

Additionally, my dad's health was declining at a rapid pace (still is!) and I found myself going back and forth a lot. My condo is near the hospital he gets treatments & has weekly appointments, so I found myself to be absent from my condo a couple days per week.

I put the condo up for sale 5 months after I moved in.
A week after, I receive a notice from former tenants re: bad faith.

Their lease ended July 1, so no lease was broken and I gave them August 2017 rent free.
They WERE very good tenants, always paid on time, etc & never a complaint about them.
Evidently they moved across the hall from me and have been watching me claiming I am only there once a week. Not only have I never seen them, but I am a little disturbed that I am being watched. I also get home late so no one will see me enter past midnight.

I changed all my addresses: CRA, Drivers License, insurance, work, etc and loved living there. Why would I go through all that trouble (as well as pay for furniture) if I didn't intend on living there?

They're asking for an abatement of rent for 12 months as well as 4 months to cover the stress and loss of wages due to this move.

Any comments or help?

Thanks