Lost password

robinthenewf

all messages by user

2/25/2018
Topic:
Units Beside Me Have Loud Barking Dogs

robinthenewf
robinthenewf
My landlord evicted the tenant nextdoor to me saying a family member was moving in in October.

By early December a "family member" moved in. She brought two dogs, one a pitbull that barks all the time.

First, to my understanding the landlord does not legally qualify for eviction for a family member because they own at least 8 buildings and units in excess of 200 in the city of Toronto and more across Ontario, to my knowledge. We in their buildings do not pay rent to them - we pay rent to named businesses and numbered corporations.
Then they evicted the tenant on the other side of me for having one barking dog. The dog did not bother me and they did not ask me about it. It was very quiet. But the tenant living below complained about the dog they said. After that tenant was evicted, they said a family member was moving in who never did. Then the unit was totally renovated over four months and now they have rented it at a much higher rent to a new tenant who has two loud barking dogs.

They also kicked out the tenant above me for a "family member" whom I know and who does not live there. That unit has been undergoing renovations for the past five months.

They do no maintenance in the building. When I moved in it had a laundry room and now of six machines only two work. They also rented to me saying my unit had a working fireplace.

The fire department has since made them shut down all the fireplaces in the building as the landlord refused to bring them up to code. So I am surrounded by barking dogs. I have lost my fireplace and laundry facility and they do no maintenance. In the building they own next door they have also evicted at least two tenants for "family members." What can I do?

They harass people, are rude and people who are still here from long term are afraid to form a tenants association, lest another "family member" be found and they get evicted.