Lost password

dru007

all messages by user

3/21/2018
Topic:
2 Year Conditional PR - Questions

dru007
dru007
Hello. I arrived in Canada on April 2016 as a PR as my spouse sponsored me while I was at home in South America and part of the PR requirement attached was to be in a 'Cohabit in a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for 2 years'.

On April 28th 2017, the Canadian Government made this announcement ' Notice – Government of Canada Eliminates Conditional Permanent Residence

Ottawa, April 28, 2017— The Government of Canada has removed the condition that applied to some sponsored spouses or partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to live with their sponsor in order to keep their permanent resident status.
Under the old regulation, you had to live with your sponsor for two years if, at the time you applied:
  • Your relationship was less than two years; and
  • You had no children in common.
The condition was introduced as a means to deter people from seeking to immigrate to Canada through non-genuine relationships. By removing the condition, the Government recognizes that, while cases of marriage fraud exist, the majority of relationships are genuine and most spousal sponsorship applications are made in good faith.
Eliminating conditional permanent residence upholds the Government’s commitment to family reunification and supports gender equality and combating gender violence. As a result of the requirement for the sponsored spouse or partner to live with their sponsor, an imbalance between the sponsor and the sponsored spouse or partner could have been created, potentially making the sponsored spouse or partner more vulnerable.

What happens now
Effective today, conditional permanent residence no longer applies to anyone, whether:
  • you were sponsored by your spouse or partner for permanent residence, or
  • you were sponsored by someone who had conditional permanent residence (i.e. child or parent).
You don’t need to do anything. We just want you to know.
If you receive your Confirmation of Permanent Residence on or after April 18, 2017 and it indicates that you “must cohabit in a conjugal relationship with your sponsor or partner for a continuous period of 2 years after the day on which you became a PR”, this requirement no longer applies to you.

So, my question is... Since my confirmation of Permanent Residence was received before April 18th, 2017, will this apply to me/us?

Thank you..