SanDEE

all messages by user

5/25/2018
Topic:
Landlord Holding Last Month's Rent

SanDEE
SanDEE
Hello,

I signed a lease with two other tenants on a 2 bedroom apartment, from June 2017-May 2018, one year.

I decided to move out once the lease ends at the end of May, and I gave my 60 days notice in March, to prevent the lease from rolling over into another year.
I met with the landlords and signed papers to remove myself from the lease on time.

My two roommates decided to stay, and they later met with the landlord to start a new lease for June 2018. The landlord sent a letter saying that their application was waiting for approval. A few days later they found out they were approved and a new lease was written with each paying half the months rent.

I contacted the landlord to get my last months rent deposit back, and they told me that I need to collect this from my roommates. The thing is, my roommates did not get their deposit back either because they are staying and have a new lease. The landlord,and my roommates both say that I can get my deposit back when all three roommates move out which may not be for years. I have read that last months rent is not a damage deposit, so if there are damages, those are dealt with at a later time, not using the last months rent.

I don't see why they are holding my last months rent when the lease ended at the agreed upon time, and I have met the terms of the contract, paying all my rent every month on time.

I am grateful for any advice.