Lost password

PatrickMc

all messages by user

7/10/2018
Topic:
Sponsoring a dependent child

PatrickMc
PatrickMc
Hi, I just wanted to check if anyone is familiar with the process for sponsoring a dependent child. I am a PR but currently living in Ireland. Our 3rd child is due in Sep and I just want to check if we can sponsor while outside of Canada? I asked via a CSE and they advised if you are a PR you can sponsor, they did not mention being outside of Canada as an issue but online it seems to say you need to be in Canada. Also just to check my daughter is a Canadian citizen. As our visa was up we moved back to Ireland while awaiting our PR. As she is a citizen, does time caring for her outside of Canada count towards our days in Canada (Long shot but wanted to check) TIA
7/20/2018
Topic:
Sponsoring a dependent child

PatrickMc
PatrickMc
Ok thanks for your reply. Am I correct in saying that I can go ahead and travel with my family including my baby to be. They can enter Canada as a temporary visitor (6 months - with possible extension if needs be) and I can then start the sponsorship process while we are there? Do you know an approximate time frame on the sponsorship process and do I complete all forms and issue in the mail? Only research at the moment but I do not see anywhere on CIC site to start an application online. Thanks

PatrickMc wrote:
Hi, I just wanted to check if anyone is familiar with the process for sponsoring a dependent child. I am a PR but currently living in Ireland. Our 3rd child is due in Sep and I just want to check if we can sponsor while outside of Canada? I asked via a CSE and they advised if you are a PR you can sponsor, they did not mention being outside of Canada as an issue but online it seems to say you need to be in Canada. Also just to check my daughter is a Canadian citizen. As our visa was up we moved back to Ireland while awaiting our PR. As she is a citizen, does time caring for her outside of Canada count towards our days in Canada (Long shot but wanted to check) TIA

1. No, PRs can't sponsor while residing outside Canada.

2. No, accompanying a Citizen child outside Canada doesn't preserve your PR status.