Back_to_Ontario

all messages by user

8/11/2018
Topic:
Question about Soft Landing and Moving Possessions

Back_to_Ontario
Back_to_Ontario
Hello,

First of all, thank you in advance for any guidance you may be able to give.

I applied for Canada PR through sponsorship and the process was incredibly (and surprisingly) fast so I have already my CoPR that expires in April 2019. The entire process was less than 6 months. Because of my work and living situation, I had not planned to leave the USA until June 2019.

Consulting some other online forums, it seems that I can land in Canada any time before 04/19.

I am planing to spend Christmas with my partner in Canada, probably will be there for 15 days so I was thinking that I can do the necessary paperwork at the point of entry, leave my partner's address for the submission of the PR card and then go back to the USA until June.

I am not sure if this would be considered a short or soft landing, as I have seen referred it in some places, since I will be staying for more than a couple of days. I would like just to make sure that this possibility is actually real. I know I will need the PR card to get into Canada the 2nd time, but my partner will visit me before I move to Canada.

Also, the paperwork that I need to do at the airport seems to include moving forms BSF186, one for what I will have with me at that moment and another one for what I will be bringing later.

So in my case, the 2nd form will be the one that will reflect the majority my possessions. I'm wondering -
what is the level of detail required on those forms?

I have a large collection of books and I am hoping that I don't have to list them individually. Also, can the cost be rounded?

And finally, I actually moved to the USA from Canada, where I did my PhD and lived for 7 years with a student permit. So most of the possessions that I will be moving back are actually the ones I moved from Canada in the first place.

Does this make a different on how I fill in the forms and the tax/duty I might have to pay? I have all the documentation from that previous move.

I was considering consulting with a lawyer for some of these questions but I thought that this forum might help to see if I really need the lawyer or not. If you recommend I consult with a lawyer, please do let me know.

Thank you again for your help!