Dugmac

all messages by user

8/24/2018
Topic:
Sponsoring my same sex partner

Dugmac
Dugmac
Hi there

I am a Canadian citizen born and currently living in the UK. I have a question about sponsoring my same-sex British partner (we are not married but he has lived with me for three years) to move to Canada with me. I have reviewed the documentation on the CIC website and elsewhere and was hoping someone could confirm my understanding of the process is correct:

1. I would sponsor him as a common law partner to obtain Permanent Residency (PR) status.
2. Obtaining PR status takes approximately one year from application
3. Once he is PR, he can work in Canada.
4. He doesn't have to move to Canada straight away once he is PR but has to have lived there for at least 2 years in a 5 year period, otherwise it will expire.
5. Once he has lived in Canada for 4 out of 6 years he can apply to be a Canadian citizen.

Could someone please confirm my understanding is correct or if there is anything else I need to consider?

Also, if the PR status has expired (because either points 4 or 5 above have not been satisfied) is it possible to reapply for PR status? Is the process any different the second time round or would it be like starting from scratch?

Thanks so much for your help

Kind regards

Dugmac

9/26/2018
Topic:
Sponsoring my same sex partner

Dugmac
Dugmac
Thanks so much Anna :-)

Just a question regarding your point "It is also important to note that regarding point #4, he must land before his COPR expires." I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "lands".

Would the following situation be ok with regards to his PR status not expiring?/:

1/1/19 - gets PR
1/1/21 - lives in Canada for one year and then leaves
1/1/23 - lives in Canada for one year and then leaves
1/1/26 - moves to Canada permanently

Kind regards

Dugmac

10/30/2019
Topic:
COPR and Timing of Landing

Dugmac
Dugmac
Hi there

I am sponsoring my common-law partner for the purposes of obtaining permanent residency status. I understand if successful he will receive a COPR which states he has to "land" in Canada within 12 months in order for the PR status to take hold.

Does "land" mean the date when we emigrate or is it possible for him to fly to Canada just to complete the the PR process and then we emigrate at a later date (provided we live 2 years out of 5 for the PR to become permanent)?

I'm just worried that as we don't know how long it will take for PR to be received (could be 6 months, could be as much as 15 months from other people's experiences) that it's difficult to plan exactly the date we will formally emigrate.

Thanks so much!

Dugmac
9/25/2022
Topic:
Permanent residency - time abroad with partner

Dugmac
Dugmac
Hi there

I am a Canadian citizen currently living in the UK. Recently I was able to sponsor my British partner to obtain permanent residency status after successfully completing the landing process in Toronto. The intention was for us both to stay in Ontario but circumstances have changed due to family commitments which means we have had to return to the UK and will probably need to stay for a few years.

Re maintaining his PR status I understand the requirements are he needs to have been physically present in Canada for at least 730 days in a five year period to keep his PR status but time abroad can count provided "you TRAVEL with a spouse or common-law partner [i.e. me who is a canadian citizen]." https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10

My question is is this requirement just supposed to be catering for a couple who go on the occasional overseas vacation/short term trip rather than a longer period of living outside of Canada? Will the authorities deem us being away for a couple of years as not keeping to the spirit of what the rule was trying to achieve? Or would they just say "oh it's fine, he was with you and you're a Canadian citizen"?

Thanks very much for your help.

Dugmac