Lost password

chermac

all messages by user

1/26/2020
Topic:
My landlord has turned his house into an Airbnb

chermac
chermac
I am a single woman living alone in a basement apartment of a house. My landlord has decided to turn his half of the house into an Airbnb, with strangers staying above me often. The only thing separating me from those strangers is a door, and the lock is one of those locks that is just a knob in the centre of the door handle. My front door is a double door that is solid glass. I do not feel safe in my own home and I've spoken to my landlord about this several times and he ignores me every time. I've asked for a deadbolt and he said he would do it but hasn't and it's been months. I've told him about men peeking in my windows and he thought it was funny. Now, he's saying I am allowed to put up curtains on my door. How do you put curtains on your front door? On top of everything else, I have a work schedule whereby I am up at 3 am five days a week. Last night's tenants were making a lot of noise and when I asked them to please be quieter because I had to get up for work, they told me to "chill" and my landlord said we would "chat about expectations".

Adding to the fun is the fact that he enters my apartment whenever he wants to, and has even gone into my home when I was away visiting my daughter and turned off my heat. When I get mail, he takes it, enters my home (even if I lock the door because he has a key), and puts my mail on my kitchen counter. I've asked him repeatedly to stop and have tried locking my door all the time so he sees I don't want him entering but he just uses his key and comes in whenever he wants. We had an agreement that he could come do his laundry because we share that space but he has taken it as carte blanche to come in whenever he wants.

What do I do? What are my rights? I can't afford to move.....