Lost password

urstrulyaddy

all messages by user

7/1/2022
Topic:
Update name on PR Card

urstrulyaddy
urstrulyaddy
Hi Team, I have few questions regarding my wife's PR card.

While applying her PR, Her passport didn't have Surname it was blank and only Given Name.

Example :

Given Name : abcd efgh
Surname :

Based on above information I sponsored her PR
Instructions were - Given name from passport was filled in Last Name section of the PR Application and Given name as blank on the PR Application.

Like this :
Last Name : abcd efgh
Given Name : N/A

The PR application was approved last year. And later we applied all her documents like SIN, Health Card, Ontario Driver's License, Bank accounts etc.

PR Card and all other documents have her name printed as :
"abcd efgh, "

Now, comes the time to renew her Indian passport. We have the option to add My surname to her Passport by submitting our Indian marriage certificate.

Example her new passport would like like :
Given Name : abcd efgh
Surname : xyz

But if we do this, this will not be in sync hereafter with PR Card and all her Canadian documents.

Q1. For the interim, Can she travel with her old and new passports along with her original PR Card and marriage certificate?

Q2. When I look for the application to new PR card to update this, I see the following requirement of documents :
  • a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
  • an official document linking the old and new names.

I will submit her Indian passport with updated surname. But what is the official document linking old and new names? Does her old passport and the marriage certificate work? The marriage certificate only lists both our original names, is that sufficient? Do we need to have an affidavit from Indian authorities stating "abcd efgh" and "abcd efgh xyz" are the same person? I need help here! Thanks!