Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLiving in Ontario

Post information about settling and living in your city in Ontario.

Ontario Driver's License - Please Share Experience 

mrkhan
mrkhan

Posted On: 3/10/2010
mrkhan
mrkhan
Hi, I am new immigrant. Will move from India to Canada in June 2010. Would like enquire about the procedure involved to get a permanent driving license in Ontario. I read through the fourms and I understand I can claim driving experience if I have valid license from India, by submitting a letter from licensing authority, showing my driving experience. Unfortunately the RTA Hyderabad doesnt issue any such letter. Would it suffice if I furnish my drivers license only?
link
sfwqat
sfwqat

Posted On: 5/12/2014
sfwqat
sfwqat
Hello,

I need to ask very important question. does eye test required vision test for both eyes ? I cann't see from my right eye but my left eye vision is 6/6 full vision.

will the authority issue me a Driving license or not ?

your feedback would be highly appreciated..

Thank you,
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 5/12/2014
Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

the basic medical standards are described here. Usually you need a horizontal visual field of at least 120 continuous degrees along the horizontal meridian and at least 15 continuous degrees above and below fixation, with both eyes open and examined together. This might be difficult with only one eye, however there are exceptions as outlined in the quoted document.

It's probably not a bad idea to visit Service Ontario or to call them to inquire about your specific situation.

Good luck
Klaus
link
mtohp
mtohp

Posted On: 9/7/2015
mtohp
mtohp

Hi, I am new immigrant. Will move from India to Canada in June 2010. Would like enquire about the procedure involved to get a permanent driving license in Ontario. I read through the fourms and I understand I can claim driving experience if I have valid license from India, by submitting a letter from licensing authority, showing my driving experience. Unfortunately the RTA Hyderabad doesnt issue any such letter. Would it suffice if I furnish my drivers license only?

Hey, is your driving licence has international permit then Canada government will allow to ride in Canada. Follow http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Out-of-Country-Drivers.aspx link and apply for Canada Permit.

link
scampylwk
scampylwk

Posted On: 12/30/2015
scampylwk
scampylwk
Hi all, I'm a newcomer from HK and with 2+ years driving experience (but I never own a car). As I know if I want to waive G1 test and go directly G2 road test after the written and eye test, I need to get a letter from HK government. But does anyone experienced how to get such letter from the HK Transport Department?
Thanks a lot!
link
adopotato82
adopotato82

Posted On: 1/30/2016
adopotato82
adopotato82
I had a NSW, Australian drivers licence. I went in for a sight test and was able to exchange my Australian licence for a Canadian one. I had to bring a document from Australia saying I have no pending charges, clean record, and held my full licence for more than 2 years.

link