Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeDaily Life

Communications, Consumer Protection, Personal Finance, Shopping, Transportation, Weddings and Funerals...

CCTB if Child is Staying Abroad - Questions 

jacksongeorge
jacksongeorge

Posted On: 3/13/2012
jacksongeorge
jacksongeorge
My sister has a son and he is 1.5 years old and she is getting child tax benefits.she is planning to sent him to india for two years.The Grand parents would be taking care of the baby during that time.In that case will she eligible for child tax benefits?
link
janisha
janisha

Posted On: 3/31/2016
janisha
janisha
Hi,
Me, my husband and my son became permanent resident in Canada in 2009. We made an entry and went back to USA. After 2 yrs only I came back to Canada and stayed for 2 yrs to maintain my PR. My husband was studying in USA and my son who was born in USA was living with his grand parents in my back home country.
My son came back to Canada and stayed with me for a year and both of us went back to USA to live with my husband. I renewed my PR since I stayed for 2 yrs but my son PR renewal got rejected so was my husband. I was getting child tax benefit when my son was in Canada but when we decided to go to USA I called them to cancel his child tax benefit.
Me and my son are planning to come back to Canada again to maintain my PR (my PR card is still valid until 2019). My son can also enter Canada with his US passport.
His health card is still valid until 2017.
1. Can I apply for child tax benefit for my son even his PR card is not valid, after I file my tax? I haven't filed my tax since I left canada for 3 yrs.I am planning to do it when i get there.
2. Does he need to apply for visit visa to stay in Canada since he is not a PR holder but US citizen in every 6 months?
3. Do I need to sponsor him to become PR in Canada?
4. Can he use his health card (still valid) or he wont get his health card until I sponsor him and he gets his PR card.

Please Help

jan
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 4/1/2016
MelM
MelM
1. Yes - you can.
2. You will need to apply to extend his visitor status every six months.
3. Yes - you must sponsor him for PR.
4. No - he cannot use his health card while in Canada as a visitor. He will need to become a PR again first before he will be able to use OHIP.
link