Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Citizenship Card - Name Change 

rosaalesia
rosaalesia

Posted On: 3/23/2013
rosaalesia
rosaalesia
i have been a Canadian citizen for 11 years.
i landed into Canada using my maiden name, therefore my citizenship and passport were issued with this name. All my other documents have my married name (including my health card).
I need to have my married name in my Canadian passport, however the citizenship card is required as a proof of name but it was issued with my maiden name. i am assuming i need to change my name in my citizen card first, is this correct?
thanks

rosa
link
amandeepkaur
amandeepkaur

Posted On: 3/12/2015
amandeepkaur
amandeepkaur
Hi
i am going to apply Canadian citizenship. And i just got married in December and i also submit spouse visa application for my husband to come in canada. I would like to use my husband last name on my documents.and somebody advise me if you are going to fill citizenship application then you can submit question 3 to request to change name.
Can you please advise how i can change my name? There are four option to give reason why you are changing name so which one is best for me..and should i submit any document to change my name. But my husband don't use his last name on documents. That's why we don't have his last name on marriage certificate.
And i am also little afraid will it effect on our paper work which i have applied for my husband for visa.

Please advise
Thanks in advance

Amandeep
link
Nana08
Nana08

Posted On: 2/2/2020
Nana08
Nana08
What's the required ment to get married . That's my next step
link

Posted On: 2/13/2020
Nana08 wrote:
What's the required ment to get married . That's my next step

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We appreciate your interest in this type of information.

The Settlement.Org article, Who can get married in Ontario? has helpful information on the eligibility requirements to marry in Ontario.

Here is an excerpt of those requirements:
You and your partner must meet the following requirements [PDF]:
  • You both must be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 years old, you may marry if you have written consent from your parents or legal guardians.
  • Marriage is voluntary, and you both must willingly give your consent to be married. You cannot be forced into marriage, regardless of your age.
  • You may marry someone of the same or opposite sex. Same-sex marriages (marriages between 2 men or 2 women) have been legal in Ontario since 2003.
  • You cannot be close relatives by blood or adoption (grandparent-grandchild, parent-child, brothers-sisters).
  • You both must be physically present to be married. You cannot get married by telephone, webcam or by proxy.
  • You both must not be currently married. If you are divorced, you must show proof of your divorce when you apply for a marriage licence.

You may also be interested in the Settlement.Org article, How do I get married in Ontario? This is part of a collection of articles on marriage from Settlement.Org that may be helpful. If you are considering changing your name after you are married you may wish to also read this article.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link

Posted On: 2/24/2020
rosaalesia wrote:
i have been a Canadian citizen for 11 years.
i landed into Canada using my maiden name, therefore my citizenship and passport were issued with this name. All my other documents have my married name (including my health card).
I need to have my married name in my Canadian passport, however the citizenship card is required as a proof of name but it was issued with my maiden name. i am assuming i need to change my name in my citizen card first, is this correct?
thanks

rosa

Hi Rosa,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

There are 2 ways you can change your name after marriage. You can assume your married name or go through a formal name change. The Settlement.Org article How do I change my name after I get married? details both processes for filing a name change in Ontario.

For a legal name change, you will need to update your citizenship certificate first. This is because you will need to submit an updated version of your Canadian citizenship certificate as a supporting document to update your passport. You can read more about the name change process for your Canadian passport here.

You may also be interested in this IRCC Help Centre article about the name change process for a Canadian citizenship certificate. IRCC is no longer issuing citizenship cards, you will need to apply for a citizenship certificate to change your name on this document.

Settlement.Org Team
link

Posted On: 2/28/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may want to read the Settlement.Org article, how to change your name after marriage in Ontario. Here is an excerpt:.

There are 2 ways you can change your name after marriage:
  • Assume your married name
  • Formal name change

This article details the steps behind both processes for name changes in Ontario as well as the documentation you will need for your name change.

For information on how this name change could affect your husband’s sponsorship, you may also want to contact a Lawyer or a reputable, registered Immigration Consultant who is familiar with Canadian immigration issues for some advice and assistance with this process.

If you are looking for more information on Sponsorship, you may find Settlement.Org article How do I sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent child living outside of Canada? helpful. This article provides an introduction to the IMM 5289 Guide: Sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child

If you are outside of Canada or plan to leave Canada and have immigration questions, you may want to contact the IRCC Call Centre or use their web form.

Settlement.Org Team
link