Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Sponsorship and OHIP 

hank011
hank011

Posted On: 11/22/2013
hank011
hank011
Military spouse applied outside Canada...in Limbo waiting for CIC to LOOK at the application.
As we experienced, CIC requires you to apply for PR status and wait for approval(7 months in...8 to go)
OHIP requires you to receive confirmation from CIC that you are "eligible to apply".
CIC confirms that they will NEVER send this confirmation, only approval.
Nice loophole Ontario...no health coverage for 15 months minimum.
Oh BTW...there are 2 forms of payment in Ontario...OHIP and cash. NO ONE accepts insurance company coverage.
link
hank011
hank011

Posted On: 6/11/2014
hank011
hank011
Having now completed the 12 month process and received PR I can not offer much advice that hasn't been mentioned in this post already.
OHIP is not clear on their rules and their own Board of Managers couldn't explain them. Just assume no health coverage and plan accordingly.
CIC cant help you with their own rules, their help desk agents were powerless and uninformed, the online status never updated. The case worker was helpful but you cant call them, they call you...eventually.
CBSA was a mess, no two officers could get their stories to match up. Officers were not trained in immigration laws. At one point I was glad there were other CBSA agents in the room or I was afraid of what the officer might have done to us.
What should have been a box checking exercise turned out to be a stressful, emotionally draining experience that I will never go through again.
We speak perfect English and this was hard enough, I cant imagine not speaking English.
link