Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Can we Travel with our Landing Paper? No PR card 

estherjung0130
estherjung0130

Posted On: 3/14/2014
estherjung0130
estherjung0130
My family and I have finally became a permanent resident of Canada in 13 years. Because it took over 10 years to get it, it is very precious to us as for any immigrated family. At this moment we only have our landing paper and still waiting for our actual PR Card to arrive.
The problem is that my mother’s brother’s wife have passed away and he has four kids to take care for himself. My mother, being the older sister wanted to go and help him for a month until they find another family member to stay with them. Now we were told several stories from different people.
Some say that it is okay to travel with Just our landing papers because we are from a country that holds a “visa-free entry.” I wanted to ask if this is true. Our flight, if we get to go will be going to United States and people say it does not matter for us because the American Airport wouldnt mind our PR landing paper.
Please I need some answers to this question we are facing. Thank you.
link
chanderkanta
chanderkanta

Posted On: 6/14/2014
chanderkanta
chanderkanta

Hello,

As Klaus mentioned, if you gave Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) an address in Canada, but you leave before the card was mailed to you, you can ask your family or friends who live at that address to send you the PR card. You can then re-enter Canada with your PR Card. However, if you do this, you are taking a risk.

Thanks for your reply Anna. It is useful for other like me as well.

You mentioned estherjung0130 is taking a risk. One risk I understand is the risk of loosing the cars in mail. What are the other risks?
link