Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

Landing Formalities - Already in Toronto 

akumar
akumar

Posted On: 5/14/2014
akumar
akumar
Hi All,

Recently I got my PR Visa and COPR from NDVO and I want to complete the landing formalities as soon as possible. Currently I'm in Canada itself on work permit and I'm which way is best for me to complete the landing formalities asap.

Can anybody please let me know the documents that I need to carry and how can I complete the landing formalities in border?

Anil
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 5/14/2014
Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

there are two possibilities:
[list=1]
  • the flag pole run: take a car, visit Niagara Falls (or any other US checkpoint to the USA) and enter the United States. Depending on where you're from and whether or not you need a visa, they will either allow or deny you entry to the US. It doesn't really matter though, just tell them truthfully what your intentions are. Either they send you back to Canada or you voluntarily go back to Canada, go through the landing formalities and voilá: you're officially a PR.

• The other option is to call CIC (1-888-242-2100), tell them that you wish to "land" and they will make an appointment with you.

• The documents you need are all listed on the papers you received. If something isn't listed there, you don't need it. The landing process itself is really simple, they just ask you a few questions, you fill out a list of items you're bringing (probably none since you already live here), perhaps a list with goods to follow and that's it.

Good luck :)
    Klaus
    link
    ccyuen
    ccyuen

Posted On: 6/25/2014
    ccyuen
    ccyuen
    Hi Klaus,

I am wondering what questions they asked at the Canadian entry port?
    Will they ask whether i have been arrested or charged?

Thanks & Regards,
    Terry

Hi,

there are two possibilities:
    [list=1]
  • the flag pole run: take a car, visit Niagara Falls (or any other US checkpoint to the USA) and enter the United States. Depending on where you're from and whether or not you need a visa, they will either allow or deny you entry to the US. It doesn't really matter though, just tell them truthfully what your intentions are. Either they send you back to Canada or you voluntarily go back to Canada, go through the landing formalities and voilá: you're officially a PR.

• The other option is to call CIC (1-888-242-2100), tell them that you wish to "land" and they will make an appointment with you.

• The documents you need are all listed on the papers you received. If something isn't listed there, you don't need it. The landing process itself is really simple, they just ask you a few questions, you fill out a list of items you're bringing (probably none since you already live here), perhaps a list with goods to follow and that's it.

Good luck :)
    Klaus
    link
    Klaus
    Klaus

Posted On: 6/25/2014
    Klaus
    Klaus
    Hi Terry,

the questions they asked me when I landed were "Where do you intend to live?", "what items are you bringing with you?" and "what's their approximate value?" That was pretty much it.
    I can't tell if they will ask you a particular question. If there is anything that could get you into trouble (and the way you asked your question suggests that there is indeed something), you may want to talk to a lawyer before you land.

Klaus
    link