Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

OHIP for my Wife 

parmindersinghpurba
parmindersinghpurba

Posted On: 5/26/2014
Me and my wife became permanent resident of Ontario Canada on August 2012 and after becoming permanent we stayed in Ontario for 1 month and then went back to home country.

we did not apply for OHIP ( health card ) when we first time arrived in Canada as immigrant because of shortage of time to fulfill all requirements.

Now my wife is pregnant and due date is December 2014 and she want to give birth to her baby here in Ontario. She will be coming to Ontario in September first week and apply for health card the day she will arrive .

my question is ,

Will she be covered from the very first day of applying the health card or she will have to wait for 3 months waiting time.

Will she be considered as ' Immigrant returning to Canada ' or New immigrant ?

parminder
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 5/27/2014
MelM
MelM
She will be covered for OHIP three months from the day she returns to Canada. If possible you should plan to return to Canada in July or August instead to ensure your wife has OHIP coverage before she gives birth (in case the baby arrives early). Note that during the three month waiting period, you will have to pay for all doctor visits and any tests on your own.
link
amjad1002
amjad1002

Posted On: 5/28/2014
amjad1002
amjad1002

She will be covered for OHIP three months from the day she returns to Canada. If possible you should plan to return to Canada in July or August instead to ensure your wife has OHIP coverage before she gives birth (in case the baby arrives early). Note that during the three month waiting period, you will have to pay for all doctor visits and any tests on your own.

I have one question about OHIP me and my wife will move to Canada after getting my PR and after our first landing we have to go back for completing our job contract and after 5 to6 months we will finally settle in Canada now my question is my wife is Canadian citizen and i will be PR HOLDER so can we both go back for 5 to6 months ?
Because i read on website that we have to stay 153 days out of 183 days on first landing is that true ?
We can not apply our health card letter ?

AMJAD Memon
link