Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card Renewal - Out of Country 

bakul
bakul

Posted On: 6/10/2014
bakul
bakul
Hi,
I got PR card in 2010 and expiring in 2015. I lived and worked in canada for 9 months. But later I got admission in USA for PHD and presently staying here in USA for PHD program.

I would like to know because I could not complete residency requirement for citizenship (due to PHD studies requirement) and my pr card is near to expiry, can I renew my pr card.
If I can , on what basis?

thanks,
bakul
link
MelM
MelM

MelM
MelM
You must meet the residency requirement in order to renew your PR card. Studying outside of Canada is not accepted as a reason for failing to meet the residency requirement.

If you wish to keep your PR status, you should return to Canada before your PR card expires (preferably as soon as you can) and then not leave Canada until you have lived in Canada for 730 days out of the last 5 years and meet the residency requirement. You can then renew your PR card.

Note that if you decide to return to Canada too close to the expiry of your PR card, there is a chance you may be reported by immigration for failing to meet your residency requirement. If you are reported, you will then have to appear in front of a judge to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status.
link
Klaus
Klaus

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

you mentioned two different matters, citizenship and PR status. If you fulfill your residency obligation of two years in the first five years after you became a PR, you can maintain your PR status. It all depends on when exactly you became a PR, so it may or may not be possible to keep your status. Since you wrote that your PR card is about to expire it seems that you can't fulfill your residency obligation anymore which will eventually result in the loss of status.
To apply for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the four years before the date you sign your application. Right now you are nowhere near the 1095 days, so applying for citizenship is not an option either.

Klaus
link