Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Short Landing and Return after 6-8 mths - Problems 

chanderkanta
chanderkanta

Posted On: 6/14/2014
chanderkanta
chanderkanta
Hi All,

I've recently got my PR.

I'm planning to go to Canada to do a short landing and go back to US.
I'm planning to go to Toronto and stay there for 2 weeks to be able to apply for SIN, health card, PR card etc. Then I'll go back to US to complete my work assignment.

I plan to leave my daughter and my wife in Canada. Both are dependents on me. I'll be able to move to Canada permanently only after 7-8 months. Both will stay there till I join them after 8 months.

I've few questions about it plan and I'm seeking moerator's or official settlement.org's employees help for this query as they have close to real information.

Final Move:

1. Is there anything illegal about my above plan?

2. I'll stay only for 2-3 weeks and then permanently move only after 7-8 months. This is an extended stay out of Canada after becoming PR. Will it cause me any problems at port of entry when I return to Canada after 8 months? I don't want to jeopardize my PR.

3. PR Card: I understand PR card is required to travel back to Canada and it is mailed to the given Canadian Address:
a. Can the First time PR card be applied under Urgent Processing?
b. Is there a possibility that I may be asked to come and collect the card in person? I'm a new immigrant and this will be my first card.
c. I saw many past photo related problem in this forum but they are all prior to 2014. Are such problems still common? Basically, I want to find out if I might need to come to Canada again before my PR card has been received.
d. In my case, my wife will be staying back and will bring my PR card to me in person instead of mailing, so there are no mailing risks for me. But are there any other possible issues apart from mailing?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Chander
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 6/14/2014
Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

1: no
2: no
3a: no, because you don't apply for your first PR card. It will be mailed to a Canadian address automatically. Your family can either mail it to you while you're in the US, or you return to Canada in a private vehicle such as a car. In that case you won't need the PR card, just the landing papers which you receive right away when you land.
3b: no
3c: not if the photo complies with these specifications.
3d: there really is no reason to be worried. You land, provide them with a mailing address and leave. All you need to make sure is that you comply with your residency obligation which means you need to be physically present in Canada for 2 years in the 5-year period immediately after landing.

You can verify all this information on http://www.cic.gc.ca if you're not fully convinced. There's also a lot of information on this website. You may be interested in
I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?,
What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?
and/or
Do I need to apply for my Permanent Resident Card?

Just scroll to the top, click on Immigration & Citizenship and then Landing & Leaving and Permanent Residence, respectively.

Klaus
link
chanderkanta
chanderkanta

Posted On: 6/15/2014
chanderkanta
chanderkanta
Thanks for the reply Klaus.

Does the situation change after Bill C24 becomes a law? Do you what is the impact of that on my situation?
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 6/15/2014
Klaus
Klaus
You're very welcome.
Bill C24 is not in force yet, but as far as I know it is about citizenship, not about permanent residence. So there is no impact on your situation.

Klaus
link