Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Giving Birth while Travelling to Canada 

sapperazad
sapperazad

Posted On: 6/20/2014
sapperazad
sapperazad
Good Day,

Hope everyone is running fine with good health. I have a few queries. I am a United Nations personnel.I like Canada.I want to visit Canada along with my wife during vacation. At the same time we are expecting a baby. Now if my baby is born there:

1. Will my baby get Canadian passport before I leave Canada?If yes then how many days require?And what are the formalities?Any special criteria is there or not?
2. Will the baby get child benefit if I stay outside of Canada?
3. As parents are we eligible to be citizens of Canada?If yes then after how much time we can apply for Canadian citizenship?
4. Can I apply for health insurance during traveling?If yes, what is the expense?
5. How much money I should carry for this trip?
6. If all the answers are positive then we may be considered in which category as a citizen?

I would be highly benefited if you kindly answer my questions ASAP.

Best Regards
link
Zhu
Zhu

Posted On: 6/22/2014
Zhu
Zhu

Good Day,

Hope everyone is running fine with good health. I have a few queries. I am a United Nations personnel.I like Canada.I want to visit Canada along with my wife during vacation. At the same time we are expecting a baby. Now if my baby is born there:

1. Will my baby get Canadian passport before I leave Canada?If yes then how many days require?And what are the formalities?Any special criteria is there or not?
2. Will the baby get child benefit if I stay outside of Canada?
3. As parents are we eligible to be citizens of Canada?If yes then after how much time we can apply for Canadian citizenship?
4. Can I apply for health insurance during traveling?If yes, what is the expense?
5. How much money I should carry for this trip?
6. If all the answers are positive then we may be considered in which category as a citizen?

I would be highly benefited if you kindly answer my questions ASAP.

Best Regards

You cannot claim child benefits if you are not a resident in Canada.

You (the parents) will not be granted Canadian citizenship. For that, you must apply for permanent residency and meet several requirements, including residency requirements (at least 3 years of physical presence in Canada).

You will have to pay for your medical expenses. Since you are not a Canadian resident, you won't be covered by provincial insurance plans.

As a side note, giving birth in Canada just to get your child Canadian citizenship is highly frown upon by a number of people. I am not saying it is your case, just FYI.

www.correresmidestino.com a blog on immigration and on life in Canada.
link