Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Residency Obligation 

Petals1982
Petals1982

Posted On: 7/25/2014
Petals1982
Petals1982
Hi,

I just received my PR to Canada (Manitoba)and it's valid until May 2015. I want to land in Canada in October 2014 and return back to my country (Sri Lanka)as I have to settle some pending matters before leaving for good. Can you please let me know until how long i am allowed to stay in my country before I get back to Canada in order to protect my PR status. Also will leaving after one month after landing in Canada be an issue?

Thanking you in advance for your reply.

Best regards,

link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 7/25/2014
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi,

I just received my PR to Canada (Manitoba)and it's valid until May 2015. I want to land in Canada in October 2014 and return back to my country (Sri Lanka)as I have to settle some pending matters before leaving for good. Can you please let me know until how long i am allowed to stay in my country before I get back to Canada in order to protect my PR status. Also will leaving after one month after landing in Canada be an issue?

Best regards,

1. YOu have to reside in Canada for a total of 2 years in every 5 year period to maintain your PR status.
2. You won't have your PR card when you leave, so someone will have to mail it to you from Canada, or you would have to apply for a Travel Document to return.

PMM
link
Petals1982
Petals1982

Posted On: 7/26/2014
Petals1982
Petals1982

Hi

Hi,

Best regards,

1. YOu have to reside in Canada for a total of 2 years in every 5 year period to maintain your PR status.
2. You won't have your PR card when you leave, so someone will have to mail it to you from Canada, or you would have to apply for a Travel Document to return.

PMM

hi

many thanks for your reply. Also it was my cousin who sponsored me from Manitoba under family stream to get my Pr. So if i leave Canada one month after my landing will they not let my cousin to sponsor another person as i didn't stay on? However i am hoping to get back in about 1.5 years to Canada and i will protect my residency obligation. I am worried about my cousin not being able to sponsor anyone else as i didn't stay in the country for 1 year. Pls kindly help me out.

Thank you for your assistance

link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi

Hi,

Best regards,

PMM

hi

many thanks for your reply. Also it was my cousin who sponsored me from Manitoba under family stream to get my Pr. So if i leave Canada one month after my landing will they not let my cousin to sponsor another person as i didn't stay on? However i am hoping to get back in about 1.5 years to Canada and i will protect my residency obligation. I am worried about my cousin not being able to sponsor anyone else as i didn't stay in the country for 1 year. Pls kindly help me out.

Thank you for your assistance

Excellent chance that Manitoba will ban your cousin from sponsoring under their family class again.

PMM
link
Petals1982
Petals1982

Petals1982
Petals1982
Hi

Thank you for your reply. anyway i will be coming back to Canada after 1 year. The conditions Do say that you can move out of Canada and come back as long as you meet the residency obligation. Will they still find fault and ban my sponsor from future sponsorship?

Thank you for your time.

Best regards
link