Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Residency Obligations for Sponsor 

ikulen
ikulen

Posted On: 7/26/2014
ikulen
ikulen
Hi, I (permanent resident, residing in Toronto, ON) applied in June 2014 for sponsoring my wife with my kids.

This week I am on the final stage to be hired by Canada Red Cross for contractual work in Africa for 6 months.

The question is: if I work for Canadian organization/canadian payroll, have home in Canada, kids (from first marriage) and so on: would it be considered as a waiver?

Or I have to inform CIC and request them to suspend my application until I'll be back and re-start processing? Thank you
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 7/27/2014
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi, I (permanent resident, residing in Toronto, ON) applied in June 2014 for sponsoring my wife with my kids.

This week I am on the final stage to be hired by Canada Red Cross for contractual work in Africa for 6 months.

The question is: if I work for Canadian organization/canadian payroll, have home in Canada, kids (from first marriage) and so on: would it be considered as a waiver?

Or I have to inform CIC and request them to suspend my application until I'll be back and re-start processing? Thank you

As you are a PR you must remain in Canada during the processing of your family's PR status. If you don't there is an excellent chance that the application would be refused.

PMM
link
ikulen
ikulen

Posted On: 7/27/2014
ikulen
ikulen
Thank you, but that's too general. I think there should be some reasonable time period you may be outside Canada (not, definitely, 6 m, but some around 2-3 weeks).
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 7/28/2014
MelM
MelM
A few well spread out trips of 2-3 weeks shouldn't affect the application (e.g. two 3 week trips over the course of a year).

Your question was based on leaving for 6 months which is definitely far too long. Hence PMM's answer.
link
ikulen
ikulen

Posted On: 7/28/2014
ikulen
ikulen

A few well spread out trips of 2-3 weeks shouldn't affect the application (e.g. two 3 week trips over the course of a year).

Your question was based on leaving for 6 months which is definitely far too long. Hence PMM's answer.

So, my understanding is that regular business trips are impossible in this situation: say. 2-weeks outside every 2 months. say).

Thank you.

Ulan
link