Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

PR Working Abroad and Residency Requirements 

lino
lino

Posted On: 8/14/2014
lino
lino
Hi

I have landed in Canada ( Toronto ) 3 months ago and I got my PR card. Recently I found a Job in a multinational company as Implementer leader for Latin America Region, where I need to travel a lot ( 1 or 2 week per month ) ..
So I have a concern about those periods of time out the Canada (working ) can impact my citizen application in near future.

I would appreciate any information, tip or recommendation that anyone can give me about this situation.

Thanks in advance,

Lino
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 8/14/2014
MelM
MelM
Yes - frequent travel will certainly delay / impact your ability to apply for citizenship. The days you spent traveling for business outside of Canada cannot be counted towards your citizenship residency requirement. So the more often you travel, the longer it will take you to qualify to apply for citizenship. Currently the citizenship residency requirement is 3 years of physical presence in Canada out of the last 4 years. This is increasing to 4 years out of 6 next summer.
link