Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Visiting my newborn in Canada 

swestenzweig
swestenzweig

Posted On: 9/8/2014
swestenzweig
swestenzweig
My fiancée is a Canadian citizen residing in Ontario. I am a US citizen residing just over the border in the United States. We are planning to marry in March of next year, at which time I will submit my PR application to begin my immigration process to Canada. As luck would have it, my fiancée and I were able to conceive earlier this year, and the baby will be born before my immigration paperwork can be submitted.

Once the baby is born, I would like to visit the baby as much as I can to help my future spouse and to bond with my child. What is the best way to go about doing this? I maintain a residence and a full-time job in the United States, so I will need to go back and forth between Canada and the US until my PR application is approved and I am able to officially land.

It appears that the Parent/Grandparent Super Visa is a multi-entry visa for parents of Canadian citizens (which my child will be) and sounds exactly like what I need, but the application asks for a letter from the child promising financial support... which obviously a newborn cannot provide. Plus, I would like to apply for the visa prior to birth so I can support my fiancée through the delivery process.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 9/8/2014
MelM
MelM
Just visit Canada using your US passport - you don't need a visitor visa.

You need to have an adult child in Canada to qualify for a super visa (and that child must have a job where he/she is making enough income to meet LICO). Since your child will be an infant, you don't qualify for the super visa.
link