Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Extension of stay on Visitor Visa 

k9.krunal
k9.krunal

Posted On: 9/17/2014
k9.krunal
k9.krunal
Hello Team,

My parents hold a multiple entry visitor visa valid till 2019. They landed in Canada on 23 May 2014. On their landing, the officer at airport put a stamp on their passport authorizing them to stay in Canada till 22 Nov 2014 (6 months). I would now like to extend their stay for 2 more months. Can you please let me know how should I go about it? I tried to do some research on my own...I live in Windsor and work in US so have to cross the border everyday. I checked with one of the CBSA officers on US / Canada border about it. They suggested my parents just have to cross the border, go to US and on their return back to Canada, CBSA would put a new stamp on the passport authorizing them to stay for 2 more months. My parents have a US visitor visa so I can make them cross the border. I just wanted to double check if the response I got from CBSA officer is right? I have read somewhere that we have to do an online application to extend stay as a visitor and the application has to be done a month before the current stay expires. This conflicts with what the CBSA officers say. Can you please help? FYI...my parents came to Canada last year (2013) as well. The had applied for visitor visa from US and got a single entry visa valid for 3 months however they stayed in Canada only for 3 weeks. Appreciate your help.
link
MelM
MelM

MelM
MelM
No - the online application doesn't have to be done a month ahead. That's just a recommendation. The process you need to follow is here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello Team,

My parents hold a multiple entry visitor visa valid till 2019. They landed in Canada on 23 May 2014. On their landing, the officer at airport put a stamp on their passport authorizing them to stay in Canada till 22 Nov 2014 (6 months). I would now like to extend their stay for 2 more months. Can you please let me know how should I go about it? I tried to do some research on my own...I live in Windsor and work in US so have to cross the border everyday. I checked with one of the CBSA officers on US / Canada border about it. They suggested my parents just have to cross the border, go to US and on their return back to Canada, CBSA would put a new stamp on the passport authorizing them to stay for 2 more months. My parents have a US visitor visa so I can make them cross the border. I just wanted to double check if the response I got from CBSA officer is right? I have read somewhere that we have to do an online application to extend stay as a visitor and the application has to be done a month before the current stay expires. This conflicts with what the CBSA officers say. Can you please help? FYI...my parents came to Canada last year (2013) as well. The had applied for visitor visa from US and got a single entry visa valid for 3 months however they stayed in Canada only for 3 weeks. Appreciate your help.

1. To avoid the small chance that they would be refused re-entry, if they went to the US and returned. Apply for an extension of their visitor permit. : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
2. The month in advance is a suggestion, as long as the extension request is received before their status expires, (even 1 day) they are fine, and receive implied status until a decision is made.
3. Either method that you use, if your parents require a medical, for a stay of over 6 months (see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/dcl.asp ) they shouldn't flagpole at the border, unless they have an upfront medical

PMM
link
k9.krunal
k9.krunal

Posted On: 9/26/2014
k9.krunal
k9.krunal
Thanks for your reply. The CBSA officers told that they would put a new stamp on the passport authorizing my parents to stay for additional duration. Do I still have to apply for extension? What CBSA officers said is not the right process for extension of stay?

No - the online application doesn't have to be done a month ahead. That's just a recommendation. The process you need to follow is here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
link

Posted On: 10/1/2014
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation with us.

According to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website if you want to extend your stay in Canada, you must apply to do so. You can apply to extend your stay online.

You can also find some information on the How can I extend my stay as a visitor? page on the CIC website and the Visitors to Canada CBSA page .

You may also want to call the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Call Centre for more information.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

====
Julia
Your Settlement.Org Team
link
k9.krunal
k9.krunal

Posted On: 10/2/2014
k9.krunal
k9.krunal
Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation with us.

According to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website if you want to extend your stay in Canada, you must apply to do so. You can apply to extend your stay online.

You can also find some information on the How can I extend my stay as a visitor? page on the CIC website and the Visitors to Canada CBSA page .

You may also want to call the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Call Centre for more information.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

====
Julia
Your Settlement.Org Team
link
princy
princy

Posted On: 11/7/2014
princy
princy
Can you please tell me the right solution for this problem?
I have my mom come from India for 6 months to Canada. We would like her to stay with us for another 6 months. Can we get it done at BOrder? She has US visa too if she has to enter US. Please suggest. Thanks

Appreciate your help!
link
smiley123
smiley123

Posted On: 11/30/2014
smiley123
smiley123
Hi
I am in a similar situation - I would like to extend my parents' visas - does crossing the US border and re-entering Canada allow for an additional 6 months?

Thanks!
link
Alivia2016
Alivia2016

Posted On: 1/17/2017
Alivia2016
Alivia2016
Hi. I bought my mom to support me and my first child for six months. However, due to some complications, I am unwell and even can undergo surgery. So, I still need my mom to stay with me more 3-4 months. My father is at India. My mom needed wheelchair to come and return to India. So while entering Canada, she was not asked any question or when is she leaving. So no date was mentioned about leaving CANADA. Now what am I missing? Does my mom needs to extend any permit? If it is not extended, what happens? I am asking this because she will not have to come back anymore. Since my husband is on work permit, we are not interested to stay here or apply for staying permanently either. Please help.
link
Lifeisagift
Lifeisagift

Posted On: 11/30/2017
Lifeisagift
Lifeisagift
Has anyone successfully been able to renew a visitor visa by crossing the border?

Kindly let us know what your experiences were.

Thanks
link