Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Citizenship Calculation 

Subhashini52
Subhashini52

Posted On: 10/13/2014
Subhashini52
Subhashini52
We got our PR in 2010 and then came to Canada for two weeks and then after we submitted the papers went back.
I spent seven months in 2011 and then went back to our country. My husband arrived here last year and I arrived again in April 2014. We can apply for citizenship in 2016,but will the six months I spent in 2011 be counted for citizenship as it is prior to four years?

Su52
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 10/13/2014
MelM
MelM
The current citizenship residency requirement is 3 years of residency out of the last 4 years (not 5 years). Based on the information you have provided you won't have sufficient residency days in 2016 to apply for citizenship then.

Additionally, the citizenship residency requirement is changing to 4 years of residency in Canada out of the last 6 years effective June / July next year. So you will actually fall under this new rule. If you returned to Canada in April 2014 after being out of Canada since 2011, then you won't qualify to apply for citizenship until April 2018 (provided you don't leave Canada until then).
link