Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

Landing for US resident living part-time in US 

blockdude
blockdude

Posted On: 11/7/2014
blockdude
blockdude
I have received landing papers for myself and my 17 yr old and 20 yr old sons. I currently live in the US 40 mins from the border with Ontario and i have worked as a doctor for the last 5 years in Kingston, Ontario. My girlfriend lives in Toronto and for the last 2 years, I have lived with her part-time, 5 days out of each 2 week period. I am due to land in Canada by March 18, 2015, but I am not sure how things will work going forward. A anticipate moving in with my girlfriend full-time but not for another 2 years when my youngest son will go to university. I still watch my children the days that I am not in Canada. Pretty complicated, eh? lol

1. Can I continue to use a car plated and insured in NY State until I move permanently to Canada as long as I list it as a possession coming into Canada with my later, say within 2 years time?
2. What is the best way to avoid getting flagged when I come across the border on my way to work during the time I am watching my boys in the US?
3. My 17 yr old is planning on going to university in Ontario starting in fall 2015. Any issues with this I might be missing?
4. My 20 yr old will stay in the US for now, but may decide to attend college in fall 2015 as well. Any issues with this?
5. When I am in the US, I commute to work on most days, go into Canada by car in the morning and back to US in the evening. Currently I use a NEXUS car when I do that. When I present my NEXUS car, will my PR status come up on their computers and result in flagging of me? Will I have trouble in the morning with border personnel forcing me to come into the office to answer questions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
link
Alphazip
Alphazip

Posted On: 11/7/2014
Alphazip
Alphazip
From personal experience (actually, my spouse's experience), I can tell you that what you're suggesting IS possible. I see nothing illegal about residing on both sides of the border, and your ID has to be from one side or the other, so why not from the U.S.? However, having a Canadian PR card and a U.S. driver's license and U.S.-plated vehicle is not the norm, and you WILL be questioned repeatedly and warned about losing your PR status for not residing in Canada, even if you are residing (mostly) in Canada. We even wrote to Canada Customs to ask about the car issue. The answer was: if entering Canada as a visitor , no problem; if entering as a resident, not allowed. Eventually (after 5+ years), my spouse retired, the U.S. house was sold, and all the ID was changed to Canadian, but up until then, the situation was problematic.

I have one American friend here, who, after getting PR, showed his PR card for the first time when entering Canada in his U.S. car. He had to turn around and was told that his car could have been confiscated! (Listing it on the incoming goods list wouldn't help, unless it was actually imported.) If he had just shown his U.S. passport, like all the other times he entered, he likely would have had no problem. I have another U.S. friend with PR who kept his U.S. license and attempted to drive his spouse's Canadian car into the U.S. Another no no.

All in all, it's just easier to get Canadian ID, though I can understand how it could be inconvenient when living on both sides of the border.

As to your kids, remember that they have to live in Canada 2 years out of 5 to keep their PR alive.

By the way, this isn't even getting to the financial complications involved in your situation. Be sure to get a tax advisor who is familiar with cross border issues.
link