Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsoring While Working Outside Canada -Possible? 

jaredpianist
jaredpianist

Posted On: 11/13/2014
jaredpianist
jaredpianist
"If you are a Canadian citizen, you may sponsor a spouse, a common-law partner or conjugal partner, or a dependent child who has no children of his or her own. However, you must demonstrate that you will live in Canada when the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

Permanent residents residing abroad may not sponsor from outside of Canada. Canadian citizens travelling as tourists are not considered to be residing abroad."

I have read that part. But can I sponsor my wife while I'm employed in Canada but have a business trip abroad? I mean like I am assigned abroad for few months but not going to RESIDE long term?
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 11/14/2014
MelM
MelM
If you are a Canadian citizen, then no issues.

If you are a permanent resident, then you should keep your trips outside of Canada to three weeks at most and avoid being away frequently. Otherwise CIC may say you are no longer residing in Canada and refuse the sponsorship application.
link
jaredpianist
jaredpianist

Posted On: 11/14/2014
jaredpianist
jaredpianist
How if I am approved as sponsor, then leave Canada to visit my wife? let's say, 3-4months?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 11/16/2014
PMM
PMM
Hi

How if I am approved as sponsor, then leave Canada to visit my wife? let's say, 3-4months?

1. If you are PR and you leave for 3/4 months you are putting the sponsorship/application in jeopardy as a PR you have to remain in Canada during the processing. 2/3 weeks okay, anything else, you are taking a chance on refusal.

PMM
link
jaredpianist
jaredpianist

Posted On: 11/17/2014
jaredpianist
jaredpianist
2-3 weeks then come back then go abroad again after 2 months and stay 2-3weeks? or no?
link