Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

PR Renewal Questions 

Bourney
Bourney

Posted On: 1/11/2015
Bourney
Bourney
Hello
I am a dual Canadian/UK citizen & my partner has PR for Canada which expires in May
Unfortunately, although we regularly travel between the 2 countries, we have not been living in Canada for the required 2 years out of 5 - this is due to my partner having to be in the UK for legal counsel & medical reports etc. for a compensation claim following an accident at work. This was meant to have been settled over a year ago but the goalposts are moved every 6 months & settlement is now anticipated for June. Plus I have a business in UK that I have been trying to sell.
My question is; once we declare our absences from Canada will my partner get his PR renewal? Will it be better as I am a citizen? Or should we just let his PR expire & reapply for his PR once we actually come to live for good, hopefully following June?

Feeling worried............
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/12/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello
I am a dual Canadian/UK citizen & my partner has PR for Canada which expires in May
Unfortunately, although we regularly travel between the 2 countries, we have not been living in Canada for the required 2 years out of 5 - this is due to my partner having to be in the UK for legal counsel & medical reports etc. for a compensation claim following an accident at work. This was meant to have been settled over a year ago but the goalposts are moved every 6 months & settlement is now anticipated for June. Plus I have a business in UK that I have been trying to sell.
My question is; once we declare our absences from Canada will my partner get his PR renewal? Will it be better as I am a citizen? Or should we just let his PR expire & reapply for his PR once we actually come to live for good, hopefully following June?

1. As you are a Canadian citizen and if you are accompanying your partner abroad, his PR is safe.

You may also count days outside of Canada as days for which you satisfy the residency obligation in the following circumstances:

OPTION 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your spouse, common-law partner or parent (if you are a child under 19 years of age).

Evidence required

You must provide supporting documents to prove that:
The person you are accompanying is a Canadian citizen; and
You are the spouse, common-law partner or child of that person.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

PMM
link
Bourney
Bourney

Posted On: 1/17/2015
Bourney
Bourney

Hi

Hello

1. As you are a Canadian citizen and if you are accompanying your partner abroad, his PR is safe.

You may also count days outside of Canada as days for which you satisfy the residency obligation in the following circumstances:

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your spouse, common-law partner or parent (if you are a child under 19 years of age).

Evidence required

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

PMM

Fantastic news - we can prove all of that
Big weight lifted..............
Thank you so much :-) :-)

Just one more quick question - can he apply while in UK with me? Or does he have to be in Canada for application?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/17/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi

Hello

Evidence required

PMM

Fantastic news - we can prove all of that
Big weight lifted..............
Thank you so much :-) :-)

Just one more quick question - can he apply while in UK with me? Or does he have to be in Canada for application?

Canada

PMM
link