Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Next Steps in Sponsorship Process - Questions 

Mirna
Mirna

Posted On: 1/13/2015
Mirna
Mirna
Hi, I have a few questions I desperately need an answer to, however reaching a HUMAN on CIC phone line is impossible, so I am hoping someone here will be able to help me.

My current situation:
In Canada for over 3 years. Applied for Common Law sponsorship in September 2013, my fiancee is Canadian.
I applied for Open Working Permit in the same package.
Received letter of first stage of approval yesterday (my working permit included.) All this time I have been on visitors visa.

Questions are as follow :|

1) Has anyone received first stage of approval and got their PR application denied?
2) How many months before PR decision is made?
3) Considering I haven't left Canada in over 2 years do I have to do medical? (I've heard that I don't since I haven't travelled at all)
4)If medical is a must-when should I send it and to which processing centre (please explain the process)

Last but not least.

5) Should I renew my visitors visa so I can finally go home for a visit or simply keep my working permit as is and stay here?

I know it's a lot but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mirna
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 1/13/2015
MelM
MelM
1) Yes. First stage approval doesn't guarantee the application will be approved.
2) Anywhere from a few weeks to over a year. Eight months or less for the majority of applications. Unfortunately it's impossible to be any more specific than that.
3) If you submitted the medical with your original application then you may not have to do it again. If you did not sumbmit a medical with your original application then you will certainly have to complete one in order to be approved. Wait for instructions from CIC.
4) See above. I would wait for instructions from CIC.
5) Don't leave Canada until your application has been fully approved. Even if you have a visitor visa there is never a guarantee you will be allowed back into Canada. If you are refused entry this effectively cancels your PR application.
link