Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsorship of a Nephew 

Gfauzia
Gfauzia

Posted On: 2/6/2015
Gfauzia
Gfauzia
Hi:

One of my friends who is from Pakistan, adopted his nephew (currently 18 years & 6 months old)from Pakistan. He has acquired all legal papers for adoption from Pakistan and now wants to bring him to Canada. He is a Canadian citizen. He has been married for 13 years, but doesn't have any children that's why he adopted his nephew. His nephew's parents are alive. My questions are:

Can he adopt his nephew despite the fact that nephew's parents are alive?
Can he sponsor him? if yes, under which category (nephew is turning to 19 in a few months)?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

gfauzia
link
MelM
MelM

MelM
MelM
The short answer to all of your questions is no. CIC no longer recognizes adoptions from Pakistan. The nephew cannot be sponsored.

See:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2013-07-01.asp
link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi:

One of my friends who is from Pakistan, adopted his nephew (currently 18 years & 6 months old)from Pakistan. He has acquired all legal papers for adoption from Pakistan and now wants to bring him to Canada. He is a Canadian citizen. He has been married for 13 years, but doesn't have any children that's why he adopted his nephew. His nephew's parents are alive. My questions are:

Can he adopt his nephew despite the fact that nephew's parents are alive?
Can he sponsor him? if yes, under which category (nephew is turning to 19 in a few months)?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

gfauzia

1. You should know that there is no adoption in Pakistan.
"Pakistan applies the Islamic system of kafala, or guardianship, which neither terminates the birth parent-child relationship nor grants full parental rights to the new guardian. This means that there are further legal incompatibilities in accepting Canadian applications for adoption.”
2. Please read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2013-07-01.asp
3. Also the person is over 18 and is not considered a dependent.
4. So no sponsorship will be approved.

PMM
link
Gfauzia
Gfauzia

Posted On: 2/13/2015
Gfauzia
Gfauzia
Thanks - I appreciate this information
link