Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Questions about the Sponsorship Undertaking 

asmaasafar
asmaasafar

Posted On: 3/10/2015
asmaasafar
asmaasafar
Hello ;

I am a canadian citizen , I have recently sponsored my husband to becomes a permanent Residence ! and every thing is fine.

my doubt is :

After he becomes as PR in canada under family sponsorship , Could I ( sponsor ) to applied for canadian welfare benefits ? and if that so ; what is the legally action that might be faced after that ?

ash
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 3/11/2015
MelM
MelM
You won't be able to go on welfare for three years from the time your husband becomes a PR without being forced to pay this money back to the government. You will have to declare yourself as married when you apply for welfare and you will be assessed as a couple based on your joint income (you can't apply as single). When you sponsored your husband, you stated that you would be financially responsible for him for a three year period. So if you go on welfare during this time, this will put you in violation of the agreement you signed and you'll be responsible for repaying any money you receive.
link