Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Bring my Pregnant Wife to Canada on Visitor Visa 

rajivmohinder
rajivmohinder

Posted On: 4/2/2015
rajivmohinder
rajivmohinder
Hello,

I am Canadian citizen since 2008 by naturalization.

Since the immigration process takes too long, I want to bring my 4 months pregnant wife to Canada on visit visa... for delivering the baby in Canada.

My child will be canadian citizen anyways, but if born outside canada - will be 2nd class citizen as per 2009 citizen act modifications, which directly means that my grandchildren may be stateless in many scenarios.

My question is - Should we OR Shouldn't we declare the pregnancy on Visitor visa application ?

My thoughts - We intend to declare to Immigration officer, in this case - what would be the chances of getting the visa approved?

How much would it generally cost to deliver baby in Canada (for normal delivery without complications as no one can predict the complications)?

If there is any insurance available for this?

Which company provides such insurance to cover delivery expenses?

Thanks
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 4/2/2015
MelM
MelM
There is insurance available to cover the cost of delivery - however you can only purchase it before pregnancy (i.e. it has to be purchased at least 10 months before the baby is born). So since your wife is already pregnant, you will have to bear the costs of the deliver and pre-delivery care. You can significantly lower the costs for the birth by having the baby at home with the assistance of a mid-wife. If you wish the birth to take place at a hospital - I would budget $7K.

I would definitely not mention the pregnancy on the visitor visa application - this will most likely lead to refusal. Also, your wife should travel to Canada before she is visibly pregnant. Sometimes pregnant travelers are refused entry into Canada if CIC believes they are specifically coming here to deliver a baby.
link